Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Maglebys





This is one of my most complex mobiles I have ever made.  The family it is for is grown and possibly a contender for "Most Interesting Family on the Planet".  It was requested by Julie, the mom.  She had so much wonderful information to share with me.  Her children are all well traveled and have unique and specific interests,  I would love to be a fly on the wall at their Thanksgiving dinners.  I am certain their conversations are a hoot and a half.  Mostly though, I am impressed at the true and clear love they have for one another, even as a grown adults.  You can't get to your twenties without swimming through some murky waters in life, and that can make some family ties a bit strained, so I love to see families like the Maglebys:  full of unconditional love.





I made Julie in her red chair per her request.  She is a self described internet junkie, and she says that whenever her kids come to visit, the first place they check for her is in her red chair.  Her daughter even used it in her engagement photos----only they took it out of the house and into some beautiful environment that I am assuming is a national park.  Her hubs is holding onto picture frames, as he is an art director for a museum.


She's got the puppy above in her lap.

Another reason I fell in love with this family is because they have experienced loss.  Their son/ brother Hal passed away from a brain tumor at the age of 15.  This is also the disease that took both of my parents, so it made me feel close to them in a way that only shared suffering can.  Here is Hal below, a blue-eyed, deep souled beauty.  

I sewed him in this crown and wearing his boy scout uniform.  It is hard to tell from the photograph, but I used golden thread for all of the seams, so if you look closely it looks as if he is full of golden,  Heavenly light.  His plush is one of my favorite I have ever made.






 






The daughter, I put in her wedding dress.   There is real daughter, up above, holding a bucket in her wedding dress for some reason.  She looks like the most laid back, I wanna have her for my neighbor, kinda gal.

Son #2 is holding an umbrella and wearing a top hat because he loves Gashley Crumb Tinies, which I also love. 

Son #3, a costume and super hero fanatic, is Godzilla.  Could you tell?  I was super nervous about his, because clearly he takes his costumes very seriously. 

I loved making this family memento and tribute.  I hope when Julie's grandchildren are playing underneath it that they look up at it then think of a million questions about their family's lives to ask their Grandparents and Moms and Dads and Aunts and Uncles.

No comments: