Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Norm, a Buttonhole, and a Functional Hat!





In Norm's early twenties he led a life of crime and landed himself in the clinker. He blamed his bad choices on the thrill of being chased. He liked the loud noises of the police car sirens, also the flashing of their light-bars made running from "the man" feel like a night at the disco. Prison was not for Norm, however. Everything was gray and lifeless, even the food. Now freed, Norm works for a traveling carnival. Everything is very colorful and shiny there and he is making up for his years of mush-food by maintaining a diet consisting solely of elephant ears and deep-fried twinkies. When Norm feels the urge for a thrill, he rides "The Zipper" until he gets sick.



I learned how to sew a buttonhole! I just dusted off my sewing manual and did it. Manuals in general make me want to hide under a table with a soft blankie and a glass of warm milk, but I decided to conquer a fear. It was ridiculously easy, so much so that I feel embarrassed that it took me so long to work up the courage to learn how. My machine even has some strange "button sensor" electrical part which I didn't use, but is really intriguing. I love how much it adds to a softie to have a functioning bit of clothing on them. Zippers---watch yourselves, you're next!

I was so excited about learning a new skill that I decided to do something else on my list and make Walter-beans a winter hat. I used a pattern from Lotta Jansdotter's book Simple Sewing for Baby:




I love it! Also, Walter loves it too, or rather he hasn't taken it off his head and he keeps holding the ribbon and staring at it. His ears will be so warm now.

3 comments:

Small said...

Norm seems like such a fun guy!

Walter is sitting up by himself and wearing hats?!? He is growing up too fast for me!

Nichol Brinkman said...

I know erin. Soooo big! Do you see those enormous feet! Any day the boy will be crawling. Seriously, he's close!

Susan said...

Congrats on the buttonhole! We're opposite, in that I love manuals. Sewing is sew much fun. Walter is growing like a weed! I'll bet he is tons of fun to be around. Enjoy.