Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Alex Project




This project will consume my next couple of weeks.  I have a very good friend, Tracey, whose brother, Alex, passed away a couple of years ago.  Her mom asked me to make each member of her family a doll out of Alex's clothes---they will be their Christmas presents.  This project is pretty dear to my heart for a few reasons.  Some of you may remember my post about my mom who passed away last year, and I know there will be several of you who will be able to relate when I tell you this:  Grief is a very lonely thing.  Especially when it relates to the passing of a loved one, because you miss them so much that it puts a hole in your heart and also because people who are your good, good friends maybe feel embarrassed and don't know what to say to you.  For a long time I did not talk to my friends about what I was feeling, and it just sort of made everything a bit wonky and confusing---there is no other short way to describe it.  I was later able to talk with Tracey, it was easier with her because we had "loss" in common.  We talked one night for over an hour on the phone and when the conversation was over I actually felt physically lighter and I think it was because I was finally able to vocalize things that had been stuck in this murky place inside of me for too long.  I am not sure if she knows how important that conversation was to me.  So, I am really happy that I am able to do this for her family because she helped me out so much.   I think I will write more about this project as I post more dolls, but this top one is for Tracey's mom.  The shirt is one that Alex always complimented and the face is made out of a T-shirt, plaid shirt, dress shirt and corduroy's of his.  The heart is from a pair of well-worn jeans and the hat looks like one from his childhood. 

9 comments:

skunkboy said...

This is a really beautiful idea. This family is going to be so touched on Christmas...

Anonymous said...

such a wonderful idea, and you are just the most perfect person to put it into action!! Fantastic and lovely all rolled into one!

Anonymous said...

wow this is such a great idea!

bozoette said...

What a touching and beautiful project!

Leeanna Butcher said...

SUCH a lovely idea, each one will be treasured forever.

Susan said...

What a wonderful idea. Take care. Susan

I. Maia said...

Oh!... I just wrote on another post that your Alex project dolls are great but now... Well, only now I read what the Alex project is about, and these dolls turned into something so much better than 'just' great!

Sharona R - שרונה ראובני said...

This is a beautiful project, touching one too. To make something good (such as a cute and cuddly doll) out of something sad (such as the death of a loved one), well.. That is what life is all about right? Otherwise, we might as well curl up in a fetal position and give up.

Roro said...

I like all of your toys!